Please disable your Ad Blocker to better interact with this website.

  • VA Secretary Robert McDonald States That He’s Fired 900 Employees

    On Sunday, Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald appeared on NBC to defend his recent track record of holding the VA accountable. According to McDonald, from the start of his tenure as secretary, 900 employees have been fired.

    After an embarrassing incident earlier in the week in which he lost his cool at a House Veterans’ Affairs Committee hearing, McDonald told Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” that he’s made fundamental and drastic changes to core VA leadership. (RELATED: VA Secretary Under Fire After Losing His Cool In Congress)

    “We’ve got 60 people that we fired who have manipulated wait times,” McDonald stated. “We’ve got about 100 senior leaders who are under investigation now whose performance reviews have been deferred until we get feedback from the IG and Department of Justice. So we’re holding people accountable.”

    But Todd didn’t let McDonald off the hook without playing the tape of his confrontation earlier this week with Republican Rep. Mike Coffman from Colorado. McDonald lashed out with a personal attack at Coffman, saying, “I’ve run a large company, sir. What have you done?” In response, McDonald said that everyone in the room at the hearing had seen a change in the VA. For McDonald, part of the reason for change is due to employing the same business practices he used during his time as CEO at Proctor & Gamble and applying them to the VA.

    Dan Caldwell, legislative and political director for Concerned Veterans for America, penned an op-ed on Sunday in The Blaze, arguing that Coffman had every right to be frustrated, especially because of the $1 billion dollar hospital in his home state of Colorado which remains unfinished and scandal-ridden.

    According to Caldwell, McDonald is trying to roll back promising VA reforms like the Veteran Choice Card in favor of the single-payer health care system. The idea of the card is that veterans who have waited longer than 30 days for an appointment will be allowed to see a private doctor instead.

    McDonald has previously pointed to the fact that only 27,000 veterans have made appointments using the card since the program started in November as evidence of its ineffectiveness, but advocates have responded by saying that veterans need more time for trust to build. The reason? In past cases, upon authorization for private care from the VA, veterans have had to wait months and sometimes years to receive reimbursement.

    And importantly, McDonald has modified the firing process to allow for an additional notification period, meaning that many in the VA have been able to simply resign or retire without facing real accountability.

    Since taking over after former Secretary Eric Shinseki resigned in 2014, McDonald has faced tremendous opposition from veterans’ organizations, the public and especially Congress, but on Sunday, he reaffirmed the need to reform the VA and to advance efforts in Los Angeles to end veteran homelessness not only in the city, but in the rest of the country by the end of 2015.

    Follow Jonah Bennett on Twitter

    Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

    Powered by WPeMatico


    Join the discussion. Leave a comment.

    We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.





    Trending Now on Daily Surge

    Send this to friend